2014年7月7日月曜日

The Beautiful Ladies and the Delicious Ramens of the Cherry Kingdom.

 When you hear the name "The Cherry Kingdom", where do you imagine it is? To see the kingdom, I rode the highway bus and the local train, and went to the Tohoku region of Japan, which is in the northeast area of the main island. From there, I went further into the countryside, and I was alone in the empty carriage.



 I could see only mountains and rice fields from the train window. This was a good opportunity for some alone time to think. 




 I finally arrived at the cherry kingdom "Yamagata" after over 13 hours by bus and train.




 So, why is Yamagata the cherry kingdom? The crop yield of cherries in Yamagata total about 14,300 tons per year and it is the best in Japan. I found cherries at an outdoor stand around the station. They were just like gems! Sparkling like rubies! Well, let's see... 5,000 yen per kilogram!? :-O That was too expensive for me.




 Using my head, I decided to find cheap and delicious foods. So, let me introduce to you another Yamagata speciality that's No. 1 in Japan! It is the consumption of Chinese noodles in the region. People in Yamagata eat ramen really frequently. Ramen is a part of their cuisine. Accordingly, various unique ramen dishes, such as "Hiyashi Ramen" (Cold Ramen) and "Torimotsu Ramen" (Chicken Offal Ramen) have been created. These are ramen I ate during my stay.


"Hiyashi Ramen" (Cold Ramen): The Hiyashi Ramen I ate was topped with wood ears. The soup base with soy sauce was refreshing, and the wood ear had firm texture. It looked flowery and cool. Which is perfect for summer.




 "Shio Tonkotsu Ramen" (Salted Pork Bone Broth Ramen): Simple salty tonkotsu soup and burnt oil make a superb combination. The tonkotsu soup stimulated my appetite and I slurped all the noodles in one gulp. It was a rainy, chilly evening, but I felt warm eating this ramen.



 "Yamagata Soba" (Yamagata Buckwheat Noodles): In addition to the ramen shops, Yamagata has many soba noodle shops. I ate this in front of the station. The meat of duck is soft and I think it complements the soba.


  Huh? So where are the beautiful ladies?

 OK, let me show you Yamagata beauties!Ta-dah! Maiko Han!!! 


 Their skins were very white and clean, and the contrast between their skin and their gorgeous kimonos was very fascinating.


 Next, this smiling beauty, "Hanagasa-odori". This traditional dance uses the elegant Hanagasa (flower hat) adorned with artificial flowers. Their vivid expressions attract people.





 Yamagata was just in the middle of a sightseeing campaign. Accordingly, the beautiful ladies warmly welcomed tourists at JR Yamagata Station. Even so, Japan is a really unique and interesting country!



"Sakai": I ate a Hiyashi Ramen in this shop.

1-7-34, Honcho, Yamagata-city, Yamagata, 990-0043, Japan

"Guranfa": I ate a Shio Tonkotsu Ramen in this shop.

2-2-40, Kasumicho, Yamagata-city, Yamagata, 990-0039, Japan

"Yamaguchi Seiniku Seimen Center:I ate a Yamagata Soba in this shop.

1F, Ekinan Bld., 1-2, Saiwaicho, Yamagata-city, Yamagata, 990-0038, Japan"

3 件のコメント:

  1. Those cherries are really expensive.

    The food looks really great, but is it easy to find vegan dishes in those kinds of shops? Have you tried 野菜ラーメン?

    返信削除
  2. These cherries are the brand fruit called ‘Sato Nishiki.' That's so delicious. You'll be able to find vegan dishes in big city like Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto. But, in local areas, there aren't many vegan dishes restaurants.
    vegan restaurants in Japan: http://vegmag.org

    返信削除
  3. Great, thanks for the info!

    返信削除